Student Travel Awards
Vancouver 2018 meeting & student travel awards. The Waterbird Society (WBS) is participating in the International Ornithological Congress (IOCongress2018). However, the Society is having a two-day stand-alone, oral papers-only session, prior to the IOCongress2018 on Aug 19th and 20th, 2018.
All posters will be accepted by the IOCongress2018 and WBS student members are eligible for a travel award if they present a poster at the IOCongress2018 related to waterbirds.
- Student must be a current member of the WBS when applying for the travel award.
- Be a student, or if recently finished, presenting on work conducted as a student.
- Student must present a paper at the WBS stand-alone session, the IOCongress2018 or both and must be the lead author, although may have other authors listed on the paper.
Student Travel Awards are given on a competitive basis. Applications will be judged on the cover letter, statement of interest in waterbird research and abstract of the paper to be presented.
Your application (one file that starts with your last name in title of the file; maximum length of 3 pages) must include:
- Cover letter. Be sure to include: 1) your full name, 2) university affiliation, 3) the degree you are in and year status (e.g., 2nd year MSc), 4) full address, including a telephone and e-mail contact, 5) name of your major professor, 6) title of your presentation, 7) whether it is an oral (WBS/IOCongress2018) or poster (IOCongress2018 only) submission, and 8) an estimate of your travel costs. Include a paragraph detailing the amount of money you are requesting and specifying expenses. Also state if you have other funds available.
- Statement of research in progress or professional plans as they relate to Waterbirds (200 word maximum).
- Abstract of paper you will present at the meeting(s).
Deadline for Receipt of complete applications: March 15, 2018. Please note, students must also submit an abstract to the appropriate Scientific Committee.